Adoption Advocates Inc. offers domestic adoption home study and post-placement services regardless of what agency you are working with. We are licensed in Texas and our counselors are available to travel to your home.
Who Needs a Home Study?
All adoptive parents in Texas are required to have an approved home study, also known as pre-adoptive home screening, before placement of a child can take place. If you are in adopting through any of the following adoption channels, you will need an approved home study.
- Domestic adoption
- Designated adoption
- Kinship adoption
- Embryo adoption
- International adoption (accepted on a case-by-case basis)*
*AAI is not a Hague-accredited home study provider.
What to Expect
Learning what your home study will entail will help you prepare for it and ease any anxiety you have about this step in the process. Your case worker can go over the process in more detail but your study will include:
- Collecting a number of documents required in the process
- Interviewing household members (age 3 and up) to learn more about your motivations, past experiences, sensitivity to potential issues and expectations for the future
- Assessing your home to ensure that it provides a safe environment with adequate space
- Determining your financial ability to support a child
- Conducting background checks on household members (age 14 and up)
- Preparing and delivering a final report
To learn more about how to prepare for your home study, download the Home Study Checklist (PDF).
In-Area Home Study: $1200
Out-of-Area Home Study: $1200 plus travel fees ($25/hour plus mileage)
Home Study Update: $550
Adoption Advocates can also conduct the post-placement visits required by the state of Texas before finalization can take place. These visits will ensure that the child and your family are a good fit and are adjusting well.
Group: $100 per family
Additional siblings: $50 per report
The Next Step
Contact Adoption Advocates at (512) 477-1122 or (800) 966-HOPE with questions or to get started.