At AAI, we believe that you are in charge of your own adoption plan. We believe that you have the right to ask questions and make your own decisions. We are committed to upholding the following rights, provided by Valentina Vassallo, LMSW, in your role as birth parent.
- Participate in every aspect of the adoption planning – no secrets and no tricks.
- Interact with potential adoptive families, select the family you want to parent your child, and develop a relationship with that family.
- Obtain knowledge about the prospective adoptive family’s home and the environment in which your child will be raised.
- Receive ongoing supportive counseling throughout the adoption process and following the birth of your baby.
- Feel secure that the counseling relationship between you and the agency is safe and confidential.
- Create a birth plan that is best for you. Spend as much time with your baby as you choose, and include the adoptive family as much or as little as you feel comfortable.
- Develop a post-placement plan with the adoptive family so that you receive as much information and contact through letters, pictures, phone calls, and visitation, as you desire with the understanding that post placement contact is not legally enforceable in the state of Texas.
- Receive financial assistance based on need with adoption and pregnancy related expenses (such as medical care, transportation to and from doctor visits, maternity clothing, living expenses, and counseling services).
- Be assured that should you choose to parent your child, your decision will be respected by the agency.